A pregnancy massage is one of the most beautiful gifts you can give to yourself or a Mum-to-be.
At Simply Natural Therapies we understand that having a baby is one of the most special times in a woman’s life, but pregnancy can also take its toll on your body. Hormones are often up and down, you feel tired and on top of that you can have water retention and sore, aching muscles.
Pregnancy massages are not only relaxing they are also great for your health and the health of your baby, and help to reduce some of the discomforts of pregnancy.
Relaxed mothers tend to have a lower risk of interventions during labour and birth.
Check out our HypnoBirthing website for more information on natural childbirth.
What can it treat?
Pregnancy Massages can assist in:
- Relieving Muscle Cramps
- Relieving Aches and Pains
- Reduces Stress Hormones
- Enhance Moods
- Reduce Water Retention/Swollen Limbs
- Muscle Imbalances/Weakness
- Enhance Skin Elasticity
- Reduces Sciatic Nerve Pain
- Promote Relaxation for Mother and Baby
- Relieving Tension
- Relieving Headaches and Sinus Congestion
- Improving Sleep
For some pregnant women, massage can even relieve nausea and heartburn
How will it feel?
During your pregnancy massage therapy, your body will be covered with soft towels. Your modesty will be maintained at all times throughout your massage treatment. We have a pregnancy cushion, which is shaped for a pregnant stomach; alternatively you can lie on your side with the use of pillows to support your body. If your therapist wants you to adjust your position, she will either move you or will ask you to move as necessary. Otherwise, you are free to change your position anytime to make yourself more comfortable. It is your massage, and whatever feels natural to you is the best way to relax.
What benefits might I receive?
A feeling of immense relaxation is the most likely benefit along with feelings of having had a “mini break”. If you are suffering from any of the conditioner listed above, you will most likely find some relief from these.
When should I avoid having a Pregnancy Massage?
- If your midwife or doctor have advised you against it
- If you are in a high risk pregnancy category or have previously had a premature labour
- If you have Pregnancy Induced Hypertension e.g. high blood pressure
- If you have pre-eclampsia, or sudden swelling with retention of fluid. If you experience severe headaches
- If you are less than 12 weeks pregnant
How many sessions will I need?
We recommend having a massage every 2-4 weeks during your pregnancy. This helps to keep mother and baby calm, comfortable and happy.
How much does it cost?